|Organization||Town of Champion|
|Date and Time||Monday, June 5 2017 at 7:00 PM|
|Place||Town of Champion Offices Board Room (rear of building) 10 N Broad St, West Carthage NY|
|Contact||Chris Vargulick Town Clerk Phone (315) 493-3240 Fax(315) 493-2900|
The Town of Champion Town Board met in regular monthly session on Monday, June 5, 2017 at the Town Municipal Building, 10 North Broad Street, West Carthage. Present were Supervisor Ferguson, Councilmen Stewart, Watkins, Buzzell, and Waite and Highway Superintendent Sech.
Supervisor Ferguson called the meeting to order at 7:00pm and opened the meeting for public comment. No one from the public addressed the Board.
· Engineer Mr. Dimmick reported that three bids were opened at 3:00pm today for the re-bid of the SD#2 contaminated soil project. Paragon Environmental was the apparent low bidder with a bid of $86,350. The bid was higher than the estimated project cost of $75,000 but the engineer took no exception to the bid and recommended that the Town award the bid to Paragon Environmental. Supervisor Ferguson reminded the Board that the cost will be equally shared between the Town and the Joint Village Wastewater system. Motion by Mr. Buzzell, seconded by Mr. Stewart to award the bid for the remediation of the contaminated soil in SD#2 to Paragon Environmental contingent on acceptance by the Joint Village Wastewater Board, USDA-RD and legal counsel. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
Mr. Dimmick recommended that the Board authorize an application for funding through the Consolidated Funding program for an engineering planning grant.
Resolution offered by Councilman Stewart; seconded by Councilman Waite:
WHEREAS, the Town of Champion operates wells located in the area known as Champion Heights to provide water for Districts #2, 4 & 5, and;
WHEREAS, the Town of Champion seeks to protect the wells from all sources of contamination, and;
WHEREAS, the homes surrounding the well are served by aging, private septic systems.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Town of Champion Town Board authorizes the submittal of an engineering planning grant application to study the feasibility of construction a public wastewater system to protect the water supply for Water Districts #2, 4, & 5 to the Consolidated Funding program.
· Councilmen Mr. Buzzell suggested that a road tour be scheduled. Members discussed the request from EDF Renewable Energy to use Boni Spur Road. Supervisor Ferguson reported that he had a conversation with representatives to have EDF reconstruct the road to the Town standards for a gravel road in consideration of the Town taking action to reopen the road for year round use.
· Highway Highway Superintendent Sech reported on activities in the highway department including: equipment rental, equipment repair and maintenance (broom tractor and loader), mulching the park and play area, removing a tree from the park, pit refresher course, flagging school, and submitting bills for reimbursement to the County in the amount of approximately $27,000.
· Assessor Mr. Vargulick reported that the Board of Assessment Review met. The Board received two commercial challenges.
· Planning Board/ZEO Mr. LaBarge reported that he issued a zoning permit for a home on Jackson II Road.
· Parks/Historian Mrs. Thornton stated that the park is in excellent shape. The memorial stone for the Hadsall Cemetery is being designed. A flag pole has been donated to the Hiram Hubbard House.
· Circuit Rider Ms. Amyot reported that the Tug Hill commissioners will be holding a meeting in Deferiet on June 19. The public is invited.
Motion by Mr. Watkins, seconded by Mr. Stewart to approve the minutes for May 1 and May 17, 2017. Mr. Buzzell noted that he was not present at the May 1, 2017 meeting. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
Motion by Mr. Stewart, seconded by Mr. Buzzell to approve payment of the following bills as presented:
General #125-156 ..$53,688.11
Highway #75-98 ..$28,545.59
Con WD#1 O&M #11-13 .$5,013.55
WD#2,4&5 O&M #31-37 $15,414.26
SD#1 O&M #3 $5,831.37
SD#2 O&M #24-29 ..$16,452.09
SD#2 Capital #5 ...$75.36
Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
The Supervisors monthly report was read and discussed. Motion by Mr. Watkins, seconded by Mr. Buzzell to accept the report as presented. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion carried.
Supervisor Ferguson reviewed activities and correspondence from the previous month including progress on the comprehensive plan project, efforts to identify shared services that can be implemented throughout the County, and an upcoming transportation council meeting.
PURSUANT TO THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 284 OF THE HIGHWAY LAW, THE TOWN OF CHAMPION TOWN BOARD ADOPTED THE FOLLOWING RESOLUTION AT A MEETING HELD ON JUNE 5, 2017 FOR WHICH THE BOARD WAS GIVEN ADEQUATE NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW AND AT WHICH A QUORUM WAS PRESENT AND VOTING.
Resolution offered by Councilman Buzzell; seconded by Councilman Waite:
BE IT RESOLVED, that the monies levied and collected for the repair and improvement of highways, shall be expended as follows:
GENERAL REPAIRS: The sum of $7,620.00 may be expended for general repairs upon 43.7 center lane miles of town highways, Including sluices, culverts and bridges having a span of less than five feet and boardwalks or the renewals thereof.
IMPROVEMENTS: The following sums shall be set aside to be expended for the improvement of town highways:
(a) On Putman Hill Road commencing at Intersection NYS Route 26 and leading to NYS Route 26 for a distance of 0.61 miles there shall be expended not over the sum of $55,476.00. Type: 25.0 MM F9 Binder; Width of travel surface: 20; Thickness: 2.5
(b) On Wilton Road commencing at Intersection NYS Route 3 and leading to the Town Line for a distance of 0.29 miles there shall be expended not over the sum of $18,356.00. Type: 12.5 MM F2 Top; Width of travel surface: 20; Thickness: 1.5
Motion by Mr. Stewart, seconded by Mr. Buzzell to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 7:55pm.
Town of Champion
June 5, 2017
I. CALL TO ORDER Pledge of Allegiance
III. MONTHLY REPORTS
3. Highway Superintendent
5. Town Attorney
6. Justice Court
7. Planning Board/ZEO
8. Parks/ Historian
9. Circuit Rider
IV. TOWN CLERK
1. Action: Approve minutes for May 1, 2017
2. Action: Approve bills for payment
V. SUPERVISORS REPORT
1. Monthly report
VI. NEW BUSINESS
1. Action: Accept/reject bids for SD#2 soil remediation
2. Action: Repair and improvement of Wilton & Putman Hill Roads